Here is how you can access the IP Address Management page where you can add and remove IP addresses, refresh the list of IP addresses, and edit the IP address properties:
1. Login to your Plesk Control Panel using admin as "Login" and your dedicated server password as "Password".
2. Click on Settings from the navigation bar on the left.
3. Click the IP Addresses icon.
4. You will now see the list of available IP Addresses on the server.
Here is a brief explanation of the information presented in the screenshot above:
- An icon in the S (Status) column shows if your IP address is properly configured on the network interface. If your IP address was removed from the network interface, an icon will show a red exclamation mark.
- An icon in the T (Type) column shows if an address is dedicated to a single client as an exclusive IP address, and if an IP Address is shared among many clients.
- The IP address, Subnet Mask and Interface columns show the network interface of the respective IP Address and its subnet mask.
- The Clients column shows the number of clients (user accounts) who you have assigned an IP address to. To view the clients by names, click the respective number in the Clients column.
- The Hosting column shows the number of websites hosted on an IP address. To view the domain names of these websites, click the respective number in the Hosting column.
Important: Please have in mind that IP Addresses starting with 192.168… are local network IP Addresses and should not be used for actual physical hosting of a domain name.
Adding a new IP address:
By default, each dedicated server plan is assigned one IP Address. You can sign up for additional IP(s) during initial server setup or later. Once the particular IP(s) are disclosed to you, please follow the instructions below on how to add them to your dedicated server IP pool:
1. At the IP Address Management page, click the Add new IP Address icon.
2. You will be redirected to the IP Address form.
3. Select the network interface for the new IP Address from the Interface drop-down menu. All network cards installed on your server are shown in this drop-down menu.
4. Enter the IP address and subnet mask in the corresponding text field.
5. Select the type of the new IP Address, shared or exclusive, using the IP type radio button.
6. From the SSL Certificate drop-down menu, select the SSL certificate for the new IP address. You can select the following certificates:
a. Default certificate - the certificate that comes with the Plesk distribution package. However, this certificate is not recognized by web browsers as it is not signed by a Certificate Authority (a warning message appears). The default certificate is used to provide access to the control panel via the https protocol (https://
b. Other certificates - the certificates (self-signed or signed by a Certificate Authority) that you added to the repository of SSL certificates.
7. Click OK.
- You cannot add random IP Addresses; they must be assigned to your account. Doing so can result in account suspension.
- If you add manually an IP Address to the system, please be sure to make all necessary changes in the system startup configuration files for the IP address to be restored after the server is restarted.
Removing an IP address:
Here is how to remove one or more IP Addresses from the network interface:
1. At the IP Address Management page, select the checkbox next to the IP Address you wish to remove.
2. Click the Remove Selected link. Please note that you cannot remove the main interface IP address from Plesk – the corresponding checkbox(es) will be disabled.
3. On the next page, confirm the removal and click OK.
This article has been provided by Codero Hosting, the leading provider of reliable dedicated, managed and cloud hosting services. Need more information on this topic or to learn more about Codero’s hosting services please visit www.codero.com, chat with us online or give us a call at 866-2-CODERO.
- How do I manage IP addresses on my dedicated server with Windows 2003?
- I have a dedicated server. How can I install my commercial SSL certificate on my server using Plesk?
- I have a dedicated server with plesk, how do I create a new email account?
- I have a dedicated server. How can I install my commercial SSL certificate on my server using plesk?
- I have a dedicated server with Plesk 8.x. how can I change the hostname of my server from IPAddress.dedicated.abac.net to a domain name which I currently own?