This is in reference to 2008 server edition not being able to process its updates, and is not progressing through the checking updates phase of the windows updates.
- Connect to the server using RDP.
- Open up the command prompt you can do this by using programs.
- Launch the command prompt as administrator. (this is required to provide sufficient access needed to stop the windows processes)
- Run the following command in Command Prompt net stop wuauserv and wait for it to completely stop.
- Open up the C drive.
- Go to the windows folder.
- Rename the software distribution folder to softwaredistrubition_test.
- Return to the command prompt and run net start wuauserv
- Then reboot the computer.
- When the computer reboots you can run and update the security updates.
Microsoft released a security pack that fixed this on 2008, ensuring that you have this update once the updates are completed, will prevent the error from happening in the future. This security update is called 947821.Posted in
- Installing and enabling IIS and FTP on Windows Server 2008 R2
- How to Enable / Disable Multiple RDP Sessions in Windows Server 2008 or 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2012
- How to add additional IPs to the network adapter in Windows Server 2008 and 2012
- How do I generate an SSL CSR for a Linux or Windows Server
- How to add additional IP addresses to your Windows server