When a client is added to the Plesk system, in order to become a legitimate user this client needs to have the necessary permissions, privileges, quotas and limits set by the administrator. Click the PREFERENCES button at the Client home page to access the Client preferences page, at which you can perform the following functions:
- Edit the interface preferences - you can set such properties of the Plesk user interface as the interface language, select the type of visualization - a skin - for the interface, and set a number of entries shown per page when displaying various lists (e.g. the Client list)
- Edit the client's permissions for various operations - enable (disable) the client to perform various operations, such as: domain creation, managing DNS zones, etc.
- Edit the resource usage limits for the client - set specific limits for various resources
- Manage the client's IP pool - grant (revoke from) the client IP addresses that he/she can use to establish various types of hosting at his/her domains
- Set up logo - set a custom logotype image displayed at the top of all pages of the client, which will be displayed to domain-level and mail name users as well, when they are logged on to the control panel.
- Manage domain templates - simplify the process of creating domains by creating and editing the domain templates
- Manage the skeletons - upload and use the skeletons - file structure templates - for automatic creation of predefined virtual host content
The changes you make at this page will affect the appearance of the client's Plesk interface.
1. Various pages in Plesk contain information displayed in the form of lists. For instance, the Client home page contains the list of domains that belong to the client. You can define the number of list entries that will be shown per page: just click into the Display ... lines per page input box and type in the desired number.
2. In case Plesk has different language packs installed, you can select the client's interface language. Simply choose the desired language from the Interface language drop-down box.3. Plesk offers a number of selectable skins - types of visualization, which give the interface a unique look. You can select one from the Interface skin drop-down box.
4. When you are done editing, click UPDATE. Clicking UP LEVEL will discard all changes you made and return you to the Client home page.
Editing the permissions for operations
Plesk admin can decide what operations the client can perform and what operations he/she should not be able to perform. To edit the client's permissions for operations:
1. Click the PERMISSIONS button. The Client permissions page will appear containing the list of permissions for all available operations:
- Client can create domains
- Client can manage physical hosting
- Client can change domain limits
- Client can manage DNS zone
- Client can manage log rotation
- Client can manage crontab
- Client can manage anonftp
- Client can manage tomcat web applications
- Client can change shell
- Client can change mail lists
2. In order to allow (forbid) the client to perform a specific operation, check (uncheck) the corresponding checkbox.
Editing the resource usage limits
While performing various tasks in Plesk clients use resources. For each client the admin can limit each specific resource usage. To edit the client's resource limits:
1. Click the LIMITS button. The Client limits page will appear containing the list of resource limit types. At this page you can:
- Limit maximum domains for the client
- Limit total disk space for the client
- Limit total traffic for the client
- Limit maximum number of web users for the client
- Limit maximum number of mailboxes for the client
- Limit maximum mailbox quota for the client
- Limit maximum redirects for the client
- Limit maximum mail groups for the client
- Limit maximum autoresponders for the client
- Limit maximum mail lists for the client
- Limit maximum number of tomcat web applications for the client
2. To set a limit value for a specific resource, check the corresponding checkbox and enter the value into the Up to ... input box.
Empty checkbox means that the given resource usage is unlimited.
The total limit for the client must be more or equal to the total sum of the domain limits set for the client.
3. At this page you can also set the period of validity for the given client account. To do that, enter the desired date of the account expiration into the Valid to input field.
4. When you are done editing, click UPDATE. Clicking UP LEVEL will discard all changes you made and return you to the Client preferences page.
The admin can set a custom logotype image to be displayed in the client's interface. To set up or modify the logo preferences for the client, follow these steps:
1. Click the LOGO SETUP button. The Client Logo Setup page will appear.
2. To submit a logo you must have the desired graphics file on your local machine. Choose the file from your local machine and click on SET.3. To submit a link, type the desired URL in the field provided, and click on SET.
4. The DEFAULT LOGO button will revert the logo back to the default Plesk logo in the default language.
5. Click UP LEVEL to return to the Client preferences page.
Managing the skeletons
Skeletons are file structure templates and are used for fast automatic creation of predefined virtual host content when creating a physical hosting. The admin can assign a custom skeleton to a client and all new virtual hosts for this client will be created based on this skeleton.
1. Click the SKELETON button. The Skeleton management page will appear.
2. Choose the archive file that contains the skeleton from your local machine and click on SEND FILE. The new skeleton will be uploaded and activated.3. Click UP LEVEL to return to the Client preferences page.
You can always return to using the default skeleton.
To replace the currently used skeleton with a default one, just click the DEFAULT button at the Skeleton management page. The default skeleton will replace the currently used skeleton and will be activated.
This article has been provided by Codero Hosting, the leading provider of reliable dedicated, managed and cloud hosting services. Need more information on this topic or to learn more about Codero’s hosting services please visit www.codero.com, chat with us online or give us a call at 866-2-CODERO.