This feature is active if virtual hosting has been configured for the domain. It creates and provides password-protected access to the directories where the secure documents reside in the virtual domain. It is possible to create directories under either the standard virtual host accessible via http protocol, or if applicable for the given domain, under the SSL virtual host accessible via https protocol (to enable SSL, check the SSL support checkbox at the Hosting Configuration page for the given domain). Icons are used next to each directory name in the directory list to identify which virtual host type (SSL or non-SSL) the directory resides within. An open lock depicts non-SSL; a closed lock depicts SSL.
We strongly recommend that you create and change directories through the Plesk 6.0 software and not within the FTP program. Plesk may not recognize manual changes.
Creating a protected directory
Follow these steps to create secure directories for the domain:
1. Click the DIRECTORIES button on the Domain administration page. The Protected directories page appears.
2. To create a new protected directory click ADD. This takes you to the Protected Directory Management page.
3. Enter the name of the protected directory you wish to create in the Protected Directory field provided.
4. For Directory Location you can choose a non-SSL, SSL secure directory, or both. Use the appropriate checkboxes to select.
5. If the directory has SSL enabled, it will appear in the Protected directories list with a blue Lock icon beside it. If the directory is non-SSL, a gold Unlocked icon will appear next to the directory name in the directory list.
6. Click in the Header Text text box. When a user tries to access the protected directory, the text in this box displays as the Realm they are entering. In this text box, enter the header text.
7. To add a new user, under Protected Directory Users click in the New User: text box, and write the name of the directory user.
8. Click the ADD button.
9. You are taken to the directory user password page. Here you must enter your new password in the New Password text box, and then enter it again in the Confirm Password text box.
10. Click the UPDATE button to submit. You will return to the Protected Directory Management page. The new user will appear in the Protected Directory Users list. Clicking UP LEVEL will return to the Protected Directory Management page without creating a password for the given user. Although the user is created no access to the directory will be granted until a password is created for the user.
11. To remove existing directory users select the users that you wish to remove using the checkboxes on the right of the page and click REMOVE SELECTED. You will be asked for confirmation prior to final deletion of the directory users.
12. To access a directory user in order to edit the user password, click on the user name in the list, and you will again be taken to the directory user password page. Enter your new password in the New Password text box, and then enter it again in the Confirm Password text box.
13. Click UPDATE to submit your changes and return to the Protected Directory Management page.
14. Once you have completed everything within your new protected directory, click UPDATE to submit all changes to the system and to return to the Protected Directory page.
An SSL protected directory can be created even if SSL support has been disabled for the domain, however this protected directory will be inaccessible until you enable the SSL support.
Editing the protected directory properties
Follow these steps to edit protected directory properties:
1. On the Protected directories page, click on a title of the directory that you wish to edit. You will be taken to the Protected Directory Management page.
2. Edit the directory properties by following the same steps outlined above, in the Creating a protected directory section.
3. Click UPDATE to submit all changes to the system and to return to the Protected Directories page.
Searching the Protected Directories List
Plesk allows you to search the Protected Directory List for a certain pattern. It may help you in case you have a great number of directories in the system and you need to work with a particular one. To search in the list:
1. Select the input field and type in the pattern string.
2. Click the SEARCH button.
3. If there were any items found matching the pattern string entered, they will all be displayed in the form of the reduced Protected Directories List.
4. If no matches were found it will be so stated.
5. The button SHOW ALL will revert to displaying the whole list of directories.
There is also another way to ease the process of working with a large list of directories. An option of sorting the list by several various parameters is made available to you. You can sort the list by several parameters. To sort the list by a certain parameter in ascending or descending order, click on the name of the parameter. An arrow will appear indicating the order of sorting: down for descending order, up for ascending.
Removing a Protected Directory
To remove one or more directories, follow these steps:
1. Check the checkboxes in the Sel column of the Protected Directories List corresponding to the directories you wish to remove.
2. Click on REMOVE SELECTED. The Protected Directory Removal page appears.
3. For every directory you chose to remove the name of the directory and the names of this directory users will be displayed.
4. If you are certain that the displayed information is correct and wish to proceed with deleting, check the "Yes, I wish to remove protection from these directories" checkbox. Then click SUBMIT. If you decide to not delete these directories or wish to modify the list of directories chosen for deletion, click the CANCEL button.
Both buttons will return you to the Protected Directory Management page, one submitting the changes, the other one leaving everything unchanged.
Removing a protected directory in Plesk does not delete the directory off the server, it simply removes the protection. This means that the directory and its contents will now be accessible via the Internet without the need for login and password.
This article has been provided by Codero Hosting, the leading provider of reliable dedicated, managed and cloud hosting services. Need more information on this topic or to learn more about Codero’s hosting services please visit www.codero.com, chat with us online or give us a call at 866-2-CODERO.
- How do I create a new client in the Plesk Control Panel?
- How can I view all statistics associated with a domain in the Plesk control panel?
- How do I edit client preferences in the Plesk control panel?
- How do I manage e-mail in the Plesk control panel?
- How do I manage databases in the Plesk control panel?