This document describes how you can upload files to your dedicated server using a Secure FTP protocol (SFTP) and an SFTP client, in particular WinSCP. WinSCP is open source software which can be downloaded from http://winscp.net/eng/download.php and installed on your local Windows machine. Its main function is the secure file transfer between a local and a remote computer.
Here is how to establish a secure FTP connection to your dedicated server. The instructions below assume that you have already installed WinSCP on your home computer:
- Start by launching the WinSCP program.
- While at the Session tab, enter the following information:
- Host name this is your dedicated server IP address.
- Port number should be 22.
- User name If you are using the Plesk Control Panel, do NOT enter the root username here because this will cause a permissions problem. Instead, use the FTP user you have already created inside Plesk associated with a particular domain name. Please have in mind that this user should have Shell access privileges. This is achieved by going to Plesk >> Clients >> client name >> domain name >> Setup icon >> Account Preferences section >> at Shell access to server with FTP user's credentials, choose /bin/bash/ (chrooted) from the corresponding drop-down menu.
- Password the password for the FTP user specified above.
- Protocol choose the SFTP (allow SCP fallback) radio button.
- Then, click the SSH tab. Set the Preferred SSH protocol version to 2 and click Login.
- You will be asked to accept the server's host key. Click Yes.
- Now, you will see your local browser on the left and your remote server's directories on the right. You can drag-and-drop your files both ways, or use the menu at the bottom to manage your FTP space.
This article has been provided by Codero Hosting, the leading provider of reliable dedicated, managed and cloud hosting services. Need more information on this topic or to learn more about Codero’s hosting services please visit www.codero.com, chat with us online or give us a call at 866-2-CODERO.
- I have a dedicated server. How can I install my commercial SSL certificate on my server using Plesk?
- I have a dedicated server. How can I install my commercial SSL certificate on my server using plesk?
- How do I configure outlook express for my dedicated server email accounts?
- How can I troubleshoot basic problems with my Dedicated Server?
- How do I manage IP addresses on my dedicated server with Plesk?