2014 is upon us and it’s a great time to evaluate business practices and how they can be improved to bolster your success, as a company, in the coming year. All too often battles are fought that ultimately detract from the mission and growth of your business. It’s important to take stock of where energy is being expended and evaluate the best way to re-focus misspent energy towards achieving business goals. The bottom line is that you need to focus on what you do best — growing your business — and ensure that you have the right people and solutions in place where your infrastructure is concerned.
In the interest of making your life a little bit easier, here is a list of the Top 5 Resolutions for the New Year. This list comes from years of experience in the business and technology worlds, and is meant as a jumping off point for in-depth analysis.
1. Focus on your mission: Make a list of all the things you do that are not core to your company mission. Do you have to play the role of System Admin because there is no one else to do it? Are you spending precious time maintaining servers in-house instead of working on key business differentiators? Make a resolution that you will no longer spend time on tasks that are not core to your company mission. If you have in-house servers in your closet or collocation, “Get Out of the Closet” and make sure you find a credible hosting partner that can help you offload the maintenance and management so that you can focus on adding value to your company’s mission.
2. Don’t put up with mediocrity: Do you have vendors and partners that are sub-optimal? Have you experienced site outages or slow response times? If so, it’s time to shake it up. There are companies out there, like Codero, that value exceptional customer experience from every aspect. Make sure you look for IT partners that are vested in your success, offering strong uptime and service level agreements that penalize them for issues (Example 100% Uptime SLA). Take inventory of your partners and make the necessary changes.
3. Examine your Expenses: IT changes very rapidly. Is your IT infrastructure getting antiquated, thus becoming inefficient? Are you taking advantage of technologies like cloud and hybrid to save money, scale for traffic spikes and lulls, and achieve better uptime? The Codero On-Demand Hybrid Cloud™ costs a fraction of what you would pay using Amazon Web Services (AWS).
4. Plan for Success: This important resolution is often overlooked. We want success but we don’t plan for it! The old adage is true: Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. So… be prepared! Are you releasing a new application or product? Are you running a new promotion? Make sure you are on the latest platform to allow for scaling – and scaling without breaking a sweat. What if that new release drives demand and new customers beyond your dreams? How will you accommodate that sudden spike? Wait for it to happen and it will be too late. Plan for success now. Work with a partner that you trust, that can help you plan for success, and the
instant fame you dream of.
5. Better Quality of Life: Are you waking up in the middle of the night worrying about site traffic? Are you afraid to go on vacation lest that email promotion actually does drive customers, inundating your site all at once? Why not let someone else monitor and manage your applications, and servers for you? Live a little, and leave the monitoring headaches to companies that do this very well 24x7x365. They have top-notch experts awake when you are asleep, available when you are spending quality time with your family.
Take the opportunity that the New Year provides to examine your business infrastructure and make sure it’s ready to handle the demands that success will bring in 2014. Partners and vendors are an extension of your business and should do everything to help run it as effectively and efficiently as possible… all while making you smile.
Here’s to a healthy and prosperous New Year!