The following is a Guest Post from David Wright, CEO of SolidFire
Codero Quiets the Noisy Neighbor with Next Generation Flash Storage
After my previous company, Jungle Disk, was acquired by Rackspace in 2008, I had the pleasure of working with Emil Sayegh and Chandler Vaughn for several years. While at Rackspace, Chandler, Emil, and I had the opportunity to regularly share ideas, thoughts, and predictions on the evolution of the technology industry. Given our shared history and our efforts to push innovation, I am really excited about what they are doing at Codero, and look forward to collaborating with them again.
Statistics show that today only about 10% of true enterprise applications are run in public clouds, while the other 90% remain either inside the enterprise walls or are on physical systems in collocated or managed hosting environments. Why don’t more enterprises (large or small) take advantage of the cloud value proposition? In many cases there is one pain point that needs to be addressed: Storage systems that “the cloud” runs on are unpredictable, underpowered, and deliver inconsistent application performance. That’s why Codero has implemented SolidFire’s all-flash SSD storage to make predictable performance in the cloud a reality for all of your enterprise applications.
So why is storage a problem?
Lets take a step back a few years and look at how I.T. storage needs have evolved. Traditional legacy storage systems were designed to handle small numbers of internal enterprise application workloads. I.T. admins or storage admins knew the performance attributes of every application running and could implement the appropriately configured system to handle the job. Then came “the cloud,” which offered attractive pricing to enterprise I.T. departments, but often came with challenging performance problems due to demanding multi-tenant workloads.
The Noisy Neighbor arrives
As more virtual machines or server instances were provisioned in the cloud, both customers and service providers started to see an increase in support calls related to system performance. Eventually the root cause was determined to be the Noisy Neighbor effect due to the heavy and variable I/O loads running on the underlying shared SAN storage. It’s no surprise that applications would seem fast one minute and slow another—at times, thousands of similar applications could all be contending for performance resources from within a single, underpowered storage system.
To illustrate, the image on the left below shows the Noisy Neighbor effect on a legacy SAN, the image on the right shows how SolidFire’s all flash storage system removes the Noisy Neighbor effect and allows Codero to deliver a predictable and consistent application hosting environment to its enterprise customers via the Codero Elastic Block Storage (CEBS) solution.
Traditional Traffic Spike Example 1
SolidFire QoS In Practice (Enabled on Codero’s Elastic Block Storage)
This is where the adaptability of a next generation storage system is critical. This is where SolidFire comes in.
At SolidFire we designed our all-flash storage architecture so that storage performance and capacity are provisionable resources that can scale up or down based on the needs of each and every application. With the ability to allocate and dynamically adjust IOPS and GBs at a very granular level, CEBS can now provision storage resources to meet both the performance and capacity needs of every application being used by the customer without ever experiencing the Noisy Neighbor effect.
This capability means that you can run all of your applications in the cloud no matter how many IOPS your application may need. Whether its a critical SQL database that may need 1000 IOPS or a VDI (virtual desktop) environment that needs 3000 IOPS, or a simple web server that needs 100 IOPS, CEBS gives you the performance you need without affecting or being affected by any other customer on the system. SolidFire’s fully HA, all-flash storage architecture has enabled Codero to deliver a predictable, high performance and consistent hosting experience to its enterprise customers.
We invite you to check out CEBS, a high performing, all-flash SSD storage-based cloud Fueled By SolidFire. Learn how you can run the other 90% of your enterprise applications more cost effectively while delivering an even better application experience to your end users.
It is always great to work with people who you know, trust, and respect. SolidFire and Codero are committed to bringing the most innovative, best-of-breed products to the market. Incredible innovation occurs when you bring together two of the top thought leaders in the industry. Here’s to reigniting great friendships and moving forward with progressive partnerships.